8/26/08

Democratic Convention Day 1

I had to watch it with my wife. My perceptions were just totally off. I thought the whole thing was fake, I thought Michelle was fake, I felt that everything was focus-grouped, artificial, boring. I was not stirred by Kennedy. Perhaps I was just in a bad mood? I couldn't get into it, which surprised me.

My wife thought Michelle was a success. Not huge, but a solid success. She projected confidence and normalcy, and her dress was perfect. I didn't get any of this out of it.

Until the end. Giving the kiddos the microphone was brilliant. It was awkward for Obama. Brian Williams made a comment like "Anyone with kids can identify with this when they go in public." So what if it's shilling for Obama; he's right. It was a great use of the girls to humanize Obama. It was awkward to watch, but real people are awkward. Obama looked too uncomfortable for it to be a smashing hit, but so what. I liked the kiddos more than anything else.

No comments:

The Schedule

  • Aug. 11, 2007 Iowa Straw Poll
  • Jan. 3, Iowa Caucuses
  • Jan. 5, Wyoming (R)
  • Jan. 8, New Hampshire
  • Jan. 15, Michigan
  • Jan. 19, Nevada, South Carolina (R)
  • Jan. 26, South Carolina (D)
  • Jan. 29, Florida
  • Feb. 1, Maine (R)
  • Feb. 5, SUPER DUPER TUESDAY, Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado (D), Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho (D), Illinois, Kansas (D), Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New Mexico (D), New York, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Utah, West Virginia (R)
  • Feb. 9, Kansas (R), Louisiana, Washington, Nebraska (D)
  • Feb. 10, Maine (D)
  • Feb. 12, DC (R), Maryland and Virginia
  • Feb. 19, Hawaii (D), Washington (R), Wisconsin
  • Mar. 4, Massachusetts, Ohio, Rhode Island, Texas, Vermont
  • Mar. 8, Wyoming (D)
  • Mar. 11, Mississippi
  • Mar. 18, Colorado (R)
  • Apr. 22, Pennsylvania
  • May 6, Indiana, North Carolina
  • May 13, Nebraska (R), West Virginia (D)
  • May 20, Kentucky, Oregon
  • May 27, Idaho (R)
  • Jun. 3, Montana, New Mexico (R), South Dakota
  • Aug. 25-28, Democratic National Convention in Denver, CO
  • Sept. 1-4, Republican National Convention in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
  • Sep. 26, First debate at the University of Mississippi
  • Oct. 2, VP Debate at Washington University in St. Louis
  • Oct. 7, Second Debate at Belmont University in Nashville
  • Oct. 15, Third Debate at Hofstra University in NY

Election Day Countdown:

Polls